Tuesday 26 May 2020

My House is Falling Down by Mary Loudon

44889897. sy475

From Goodreads

For Lucy, marriage to Mark provided an anchor after several years of drifting casually across
countries, into jobs and out of relationships.

Now forty-two, her anchor is working loose. Bewildered by the demands of motherhood and dissatisfied by her work, she has also grown understandably resentful of her husband: Mark has serious difficulties of his own and whilst harsh.

When Lucy falls in love with Angus, a pianist in his sixties, her shock is extreme. Adamant that she will not deceive her husband, she instead asks his advice. Mark’s reaction, however, is startlingly unorthodox, leaving Lucy to steer an impossible course between duty and desire, adventure and security. As her marriage falters and Angus presses for commitment, she is forced to choose between family and self, with lifelong consequences for everyone.

Infused with her trademark precision, clarity and dark humour, Mary Loudon’s searing, highly-charged novel My House is Falling Down is a fearless exploration of what infidelity means when no one is lying, and how brutal honesty may yet prove the biggest taboo in our relationships.

My thoughts

This is the first book that I've borrowed from my local Library using the Borrow Box feature, which allows Library users to read digital copies of books available.

I would never have heard about this book was it not for reading a tweet about it, where a Twitter member had stayed up into the early hours (4.30am) to finish reading it.

I gave this 4 stars or 8/10. It was an interesting read about a love triangle and how an extra marital affair is dealt with when no one is lying or deceiving their partner.

At less than 170 pages this book could easily be read in a day, it took me two days from start to finish. I can easily see how it kept someone up into the early hours reading it, due to the nature of the story. This was an enjoyable read and I can thoroughly recommend it to others.

I am sure that Mark is unlike most husbands in the way that he reacted to the fact that his wife (Lucy) told him she was falling in love with someone else and asked for his advice. To be honest I think he acted very fairly and his love for her was clearly very deep.

To find out how Lucy reacts to Mark's reaction to her revelation and what repercussions it has on them as a couple and the love triangle, you need to grab a copy of this one for yourself.

I feel that this would make a great reading group read.

No comments:

Post a Comment