Friday 15 May 2020

The Devil in the Snow by Sarah Armstrong

33977915. sy475

From Goodreads

All Shona wants is a simple life with her young son, and to get free of Maynard, the ex who’s still living in the house. When her teenage daughter goes missing, she’s certain Maynard is the culprit. Her mother, Greta, is no help as she’s too obsessed with the devil. Her Uncle Jimmy is fresh out of prison and has never been entirely straight with her. Then there’s the shaman living in her shed. Shona soon discovers that the secrets she buried are as dangerous as the family curse haunting her Mother.

My thoughts

I was drawn to this one by the cover and then the blurb once I'd read it. I picked my copy up from the local Library. I gave this a 3.5 stars or /710.

However, it's an unusual book to review and I had to give it some thought before I posted the review.

Personally I feel that this book would make a great Reading Group read. There's plenty to discuss in my opinion that will see people forming differing opinions of it.

The story focuses on the estranged relationship between Shona and her ex Maynard. The relationship is more complicated than some relationships between exes, as Maynard still lives with Shona. This isn't ideal in anyway at all for them or their children.

Life is in no way easy for any of them and becomes even more complicated when their teenage daughter disappears.

If you like reading books that are more action driven, then this is not the book for you. The book deals with the disjointed relationships between the characters and at times doesn't seem to be taking the reader anywhere at all as it explores the complexities of relationships.

Well written it will keep you reading, but at times you might feel a little lost among it all, as it doesn't seem to be taking you anywhere that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment