Monday 19 May 2014

Ulverton by Adam Thorpe

15796694

From Goodreads

At the heart of this novel lies the fictional village of Ulverton. Different voices tell the story of the village over three hundred years: Ulverton: one of Cromwell's soldiers staggers home to find his wife remarried and promptly disappears, an eighteenth-century farmer carries on an affair with a maid under his wife's nose, a mother writes letters to her imprisoned son, a 1980s real estate company discovers a soldier's skeleton, dated to the time of Cromwell...

Told through diaries, sermons, pub conversations and film scripts, this exceptional novel reconstructs the unrecorded history of England.


My thoughts

Sadly, despite having looked forward to reading this one I had to give up on it.  For those that know me well, they know that I don't give up on books easily and it did make a while to come to this decision.

I started the book on the 8th May and by 17th May, I'd only managed to read around a 135 pages.  It was as if reading it was a chore and reading should never be a chore in my opinion.  When I was n the mood to read or had the time, it wasn't the first book that I picked up and when I did pick it up, it was with some reluctance.

It's not that it was badly written as it was far from that.  I found it well written but it didn't grab me.  I'm not a huge fan of short stories and this was basically a series of short stories set over several centuries featuring one fictitious village know as Ulverton, which did have certain variations on the name.

Based on what I read I gave it a 2/10.  If I'd got on with it better this would have been more.

No comments:

Post a Comment