Saturday 14 September 2024

Midwinter Break by Bernard MacLaverty








From Goodreads

A retired couple, Gerry and Stella Gilmore, fly to Amsterdam for a midwinter break. A holiday to refresh the senses, to see the sights and to generally take stock of what remains of their lives. But amongst the wintry streets and icy canals we see their relationship fracturing beneath the surface. And when memories re-emerge of a troubled time in their native Ireland things begin to fall apart. As their midwinter break comes to an end, we understand how far apart they are – and can only watch as they struggle to save themselves.

My thoughts

This was a recent read at my local Library reading group.  It was met with mixed views, I was on the enjoyed it side of the fence.  It's not a book that I would have chosen to read if I had seen it on the shelf in the Library, but I am glad that it is one that was on the list of books for the Reading Group.

I loved the fact that this story was based on the relationship of a retired married couple that had been together for many years, as I myself am part of a married couple that have been together for 30 plus years and I can relate to some of what was being portrayed in this story about their relationship.  Being with someone for so long takes a lot of give and take on both sides and life doesn't always go the way that either of you wants it too.  I can understand how they drifted apart as a couple and it's only the couple in that situation who are able to save themselves.  Life is never easy and we can only make the most of any given situation that we find ourselves in.  This is what Gerry and Stella appeared to be trying to do as they tired to save their marriage and relationship.

I will look out for more books by this author.

ETA.

I learned a handy tip: Apparently margarine will help remove gloss paint from your skin.  All I need to do is remember this next time I do any painting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment