Sunday 20 December 2020

One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey









From Goodreads

Boisterous, ribald, and ultimately shattering, Ken Kesey's One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is the seminal novel of the 1960s that has left an indelible mark on the literature of our time. Here is the unforgettable story of a mental ward and its inhabitants, especially the tyrannical Big Nurse Ratched and Randle Patrick McMurphy, the brawling, fun-loving new inmate who resolves to oppose her. We see the struggle through the eyes of Chief Bromden, the seemingly mute half-Indian patient who witnesses and understands McMurphy's heroic attempt to do battle with the awesome powers that keep them all imprisoned.

Contains illustrations and a preface by the author, as well as an introduction by Robert Faggen.

My thoughts

This is a book that I wouldn't necessarily have chosen to read, but it's one that I decided to read as part of my The Book Club on Facebook 2020 12 book challenge.  The book fit the criteria of being a classic, it's a modern classic.  

I have seen the film adaptation of this book many times, but have never read it until now.  I gave it a 3 stars or 6/10.

I really like the film adaptation of this book and I am pleased to say that the book was quite good too.  The story is told through the eyes of one of the patients Chief Bromden and at times it's quite an eye opening read.  The Author has captured the essence of life inside a secure mental institution in my opinion.

If you have not read this  book yet and ever get the chance to read it, please do so as it is well worth a read in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment