Sunday 13 December 2020

Franny & Zooey by J.D. Salinger









From Goodreads

Everything everybody does is so - I don't know - not wrong, or even mean, or even stupid necessarily. But just so tiny and meaningless and - sad-making. And the worst part is, if you go bohemian or something crazy like that, you're conforming just as much only in a different way.'

First published in the New Yorker as two sequential stories, 'Franny' and 'Zooey' offer a dual portrait of the two youngest members of J. D. Salinger's fictional Glass family.

'Salinger's masterpiece' Guardian

My thoughts

This is a book that I wouldn't necessarily have chosen to read, but it's one that I decided to read as part of my The Book Club on Facebook 2020 12 book challenge.  The book fit the criteria of being written in the decade that I was born, which was the 1960's.

I gave this a 2.5 stars or 5/10.

The book is very much of the time, but saying that it could have been written at any time.  It's well written, but in my opinion it doesn't really seem to go anywhere in the case of a plot driven story.  I felt that it was a more character driven story.  The story is told in two parts and some of the characters feature in both stories.  

It's not an easy story to review at all.  If you ever come across it, then why not give it a go.  At just over a 130 pages it's not a long book at all. 

I have an excerpt from the book as it contains my name and it just made me smile as I read it.

  Franny looked at what she could see of him. Only his soles and heels were visible from where she sat. 'Well, what about Dick's thing?' she asked. 'Have you read it yet?'

  'In Dick's thing, I can be Bernie, a sensitive young subway guard, in the most courageous goddam offbeat television opus you ever read.'

  'You mean it? Is it really good?' 

No comments:

Post a Comment