Sunday 15 November 2020

Paris Echo by Sebastian Faulks

41826985

From Goodreads

American academic Hannah and runaway Moroccan teenager Tariq have little in common, yet both find themselves haunted by the ghosts of Paris.

Hannah listens to the extraordinary witness of women living under the German Occupation and finds a city bursting with clues, connections and past love affairs, while in the migrant suburbs Tariq is searching for a mother he barely knew. Urgent and deeply moving, Paris Echo asks how much we really need to know in order to live a valuable life.

My thoughts

This was one of my Library Reading Group reads. I have read a few of Sebastian Faulk's books before and quite enjoyed them. This is one that I might not necessarily have chosen for myself, but that's the beauty of Reading Groups as you often read books that you wouldn't have chosen yourself. To be honest I can't remember what the group thought of it at the time now. It's got mixed reviews on Goodreads, but that's not always a bad thing as we are not always going to enjoy every book that we read.

I started reading this book back in January and my copy went back to the Library in late January.  I finally got round to grabbing a copy from BorrowBox the digital lending side of my local Library in November, so made a start on picking up on it from page 138 which is where I had to leave it back in January.  It didn't take long to immerse myself back in the story.

I gave this a 2.5 stars or 5/10.

This is an unusual book to review and there were parts of it that I liked and parts that I didn't like. I suppose that with the 2.5 stars rating you'll find me sat on the fence so to speak.

Perhaps, for me some of the story was lost to me due to having left it a while before getting back to it and maybe it's one of those books that is better read over a few days or week than left for several months and picked up again.

At times it felt a chore reading it, but I did want to find out what happened to the characters so I kept with it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment