Friday 30 September 2016

Custard Tarts and Broken Hearts by Mary Gibson

25990396

From Goodreads

'Mary Gibson is going to go a long way... a really good read' Dee Williams.

Heartwarming and gritty, the story of a factory girl in Bermondsey through World War 1.

They call them custard tarts - the girls who work at the Pearce Duff custard and jelly factory. But now the custard tarts are up in arms, striking for better conditions. Among them is Nellie Clark, trying to hold her family together after the death of her mother. She has the most desperate struggle to make ends meet, often going hungry to feed her little brothers.

Two men vie for Nellie's love. One is flamboyant, confident and a chancer. The other is steady, truthful and loyal. But the choice is not as easy as it might seem.

Looming over them all - over Bermondsey, over the factory, over the custard tarts and their lives and loves - is the shadow of the First World War. And that will change everything and everyone.  

My thoughts

I doubt I'd have picked this one up if it hadn't been one of my local Library Reading Group reads.  I've given it a 3 stars or 6/10.

It was overly long in my opinion, there were a lot of characters that I seemed to lose track of along the way.  It was well written though, but I'm sorry it just wasn't as engaging to me as some of my other reads.

If you like saga style stories set around the early 1900's then this is the ideal book for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment