Monday 28 September 2015

Another Way to Fall by Amanda Brooke

Another Way to Fall

From Goodreads 

What would you do if you could write the story of your life?

After battling a brain tumour twenty-nine year old Emma thinks she is in the clear, but her world comes crashing down around her when she is told her fight was in vain, and there is nothing more the doctors can do.

Realising that she won’t now have time to achieve the things she dreamed of, Emma decides to write her perfect life in a story. She imagines all the things she would have done, the places she would have seen, the husband she would have shared her life with and the family they would have raised. And, mysteriously, as she writes her story, she starts to notice that some of her dreams seem to be coming true.

Now with a real love in her life, and her fading hope burning brighter, reality and fiction start to become blurred. As she writes their life-long love story Emma dares to believe that anything is possible, but can she really change her fate?


My thoughts

9/10 from me. I picked this one up on a whim from the Library. I'd neither heard of the book nor the Author before.

This is the story of Emma a late twentysomething with a brain tumour that's not getting any better. As Emma's conditon gets worse, her Mum is working all the hours she can to raise money to send Emma abroad for further treatment. As Emma decides to make her own decisions regarding her health and treatment with the help of her Consultant, she risks upsetting her Mum but as she has been told that there is not a lot else that can be done for her, it's an easy decision for her to make. Why put herself through more treatment when she could enjoy the quality of life that she currently has.

As her current relatonship ends, she is left alone but love often has it's own plan for us and as a new relationship begins to blossom, life takes a turn for her. As Emma realises that she probably won't be able to do all that she had planned with her life, she begins to write a book and embarks on a journey where fiction and real life become increasingly blurred.

I enjoyed this story and please do not take any notice of the length of time taken to read, as I had to put the book to one side shortly after I'd started it as others needed to be read. This was an easy to read story and I really warmed to Emma, I felt sorry for her but felt that she was dealing well with her illnes. I could understand why her Mum was acting in the way that she was, as being a Mum I think I'd want to do all I could to prolong the life of my child too if I was in her shoes.

I shed plenty of tears along the way on this journey with Emma and her Mum and everyone else. It was an interesting premise, well written and researched. A great read to immerse yourself in, but a word of warning don't have the tissues too far away as you'll need the odd one or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment