Saturday, 29 August 2026

The Martian by Andy Weir


From Goodreads

The bestseller behind the major film from Ridley Scott, starring Matt Damon and Jessica Chastain.

I’m stranded on Mars.

I have no way to communicate with Earth.

I’m in a Habitat designed to last 31 days.

If the Oxygenator breaks down, I’ll suffocate. If the Water Reclaimer breaks down, I’ll die of thirst. If the Hab breaches, I’ll just kind of explode. If none of those things happen, I’ll eventually run out of food and starve to death.

So yeah. I’m screwed.

My thoughts

I saw the film version of this some time ago and really enjoyed it. At the time I was watching it, I didn't realise that it was based on a story. I couldn't help but read the book to see how they compare.

I grabbed a copy from my local Library and was as enthused with the book as I had been by the film.

It was well written and the thought of being left behind on a planet, felt very isolating and thought provoking and made you wonder how you would cope if you were that person in that position. I for one know that I wouldn't deal with it very well at all.

I will be back to add to this review at a later date, as I have more to add! Watch this space ...

I told you there was more to add.

An excerpt that made me smile to myself at the time.

" People have been using human waste as fertiliser. It's even got a name for it: night soul. Never an ideal way to grow crops, because it spreads disease has pathogens in it that you guessed it, infects humans. Not a problem for me. The only pathogens in this waste, I already have. "

This made me laugh to myself at the time, as he clearly has a point.

No comments:

Post a Comment