Saturday 18 February 2023

The Lie by Helen Dunmore




From Goodreads

Set during and just after the First World War, The Lie is an enthralling, heart-wrenching novel of love, memory and devastating loss by one of the UK’s most acclaimed storytellers.

Cornwall, 1920, early spring.

A young man stands on a headland, looking out to sea. He is back from the war, homeless and without family. Behind him lie the mud, barbed-wire entanglements and terror of the trenches. Behind him is also the most intense relationship of his life.

My thoughts

This was a reading group read for a group that meets at my local Library.  I gave this a 4 stars or 8/10. 

I possibly wouldn't have chosen this book for myself, but I have read books by Helen Dunmore in the past.

Telling the story of a young man who was involved in World War I, it tells of his life and the effects that the war have had on him.  It relates the story with flashbacks into life in the war years, as he tries to get on with life in the years after it.  We can only imagine what the people went through and how it affected them both mentally and physically.

I found the story to be well written and engaging.  This is a slow burner of a read.  It makes you realise what the people went through and how they tried their best to cope with the after effects of war.  

As I was reading the story there was a mention of Woodbine cigarettes.  This brought back memories of my grandparents as they used to smoke Woodbine cigarettes.  It's not often that stories remind me of things like this, but this one sure did.

No comments:

Post a Comment