Friday 27 August 2021

Woman of the Hour (StoryWorld #1) by Jane Lythell

 

From Goodreads

Meet Liz Lyon: respected TV producer, stressed-out executive, guilty single mother . . . woman of the hour. StoryWorld is the nation's favorite morning show, and producer Liz Lyon wants to keep it that way. Her job is to turn real-life stories into thrilling TV—and keep a lid on the scandals and backbiting that happen off-stage. But then simmering tensions erupt at the station, trapping Liz in a game of one-upmanship where she doesn't know the rules. As the power struggle intensifies, can Liz keep her cool and keep her job? Does she even want to? In this gripping novel, Jane Lythell draws on her experiences of working in the world of live TV.

My thoughts

I grabbed a copy of this from my local Library, I am not sure if it was a random choice or one that I was made aware of by others as a good book to read.  However I came across it, it doesn't really matter to be honest, but I am glad that I did.

I gave this a 4 stars or 8/10.  I enjoyed the story and found it an easy read that I was soon immersed in.  I felt that the Author having been involved in that side of things personally having worked in the world of live TV was able to relate this story well and who knows if the story is purely fiction or .....  Only she will know.  Many stories will be based on some facteor experience and interwoven with plenty of fiction, to keep the reader engaged.  I was definitely engaged and have a copy of Behind Her Back (StoryWorld #2) to read next. 

This is the first in the StoryWorld series by this Author.  StoryWorld is the name of the nation's favourite morning show.  Telling the story of the shows executives, presenters and all those involved with a production like this.  As you can imagine life surrounding TV programmes and production can be a hot bed of gossip, tension, secrets and one upmanship.  Someone is always ready to tread on other people in order to achieve greater things for themselves.  This was quite evident in this story and working life spilled over into personal life, causing issues for many of the characters.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for this perceptive review Bernie.
    Woman of the Hour and the follow-up Behind Her Back are my most personal novels as I drew on my experience as a TV producer working full-time as a single mother.
    So glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete