Friday 20 August 2021

Letters to my Daughters by Emma Hannigan

 

From Goodreads

Her three girls were her world. It was time to let them know.

To sisters Bea, Jeannie and Rose, the death of their beloved childhood nanny is a devastating loss. As the girls grew up, Nanny May had become so much more to them all: confidant, advocate, comforter, friend. In whom will they confide their hopes, fears and failures now she has gone? Especially now each sister needs a mother's wisdom more than ever...

Martha cannot understand why her daughters are so upset about losing their childhood nanny. Yes, Martha was always in demand as a busy midwife, but that doesn't mean she loved her own children any less. But why don't the girls realise that? And has she left it too late to let them know...?

My thoughts

I came across this in my local Library.  I gave this a 7/10 or 3.5 stars.

This is the second book by Emma Hannigan that I have read, back in 2019 I read and reviewed The Wedding Promise.  At the time I was led to believe that it was to have been her last book, however she was able to write this one prior to passing away in 2018 and the book was printed after her death.  I have also found out that there was another book of hers printed after her passing, The Gift of Friends.

This was a gentle tale about three sisters, that found it hard coming to terms with the death of Nanny May who looked after them as children.  They still had connections to her as they became adults and often used her for advice and remained friends with her, they were more attached to Nanny May than they were to their own Mother.  Their mother Martha seemed to have more time for her work and career as a midwife, but as a working Mum it doesn't mean that you love your family less.  Sometimes both parents need to work for many reasons.  

I quite enjoyed this story, but found that it rambled on quite a lot and the gist of the story could have been conveyed as easily with less pages.  This hasn't put reading more books by her, as there are still quite a few that I haven't read yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment