Wednesday 7 July 2021

The Thursday Murder Club (Thursday Murder Club #1) by Richard Osman









From Goodreads

Four septuagenarians with a few tricks up their sleeves
A female cop with her first big case
A brutal murder
Welcome to…
The Thursday Murder Club

In a peaceful retirement village, four unlikely friends meet weekly in the Jigsaw Room to discuss unsolved crimes; together they call themselves The Thursday Murder Club. Elizabeth, Joyce, Ibrahim and Ron might be pushing eighty but they still have a few tricks up their sleeves.

When a local developer is found dead with a mysterious photograph left next to the body, the Thursday Murder Club suddenly find themselves in the middle of their first live case. As the bodies begin to pile up, can our unorthodox but brilliant gang catch the killer, before it's too late.

My thoughts

I grabbed a copy of this from BorrowBox. I seemed to have been reading it for ages, but admittedly it was put to one side while I read another book or two.

I gave this a 3 stars or 6/10. Told in very small chapters, that keep you reading one more this was quite an engaging tale in some ways, but in others it left me wanting more. I am not sure why, perhaps it was due to the fact that it didn't always hold my attention.

Set in an upmarket in many ways old peoples retirement village, this story brings together a group of elderly people with one thing in common, they all love an unsolved crime and the chance to debate what happened and give their thoughts on it, even maybe solving that crime.  I enjoyed the interaction between all the characters both in the retirement village and those outside it.

The story featured humour, secrets, friendship, relationships and a whole host of other things.  I think I was expecting more with having read great things about it, but sadly it didn't quite deliver.

This is the first in a series featuring the Thursday Murder Club, personally I won't be rushing to read the next one, but don't let me put you off.

No comments:

Post a Comment