Saturday 26 December 2020

See You in September by Charity Norman

 

From Goodreads

Cassy blew a collective kiss at them. 'See you in September,' she said. A throwaway line. Just words, uttered casually by a young woman in a hurry. And then she'd gone.

It was supposed to be a short trip - a break in New Zealand before her best friend's wedding. But when Cassy waved goodbye to her parents, they never dreamed that it would be years before they'd see her again.

Having broken up with her boyfriend, Cassy accepts an invitation to stay in an idyllic farming collective. Overcome by the peace and beauty of the valley and swept up in the charisma of Justin, the community's leader, Cassy becomes convinced that she has to stay.

As Cassy becomes more and more entrenched in the group's rituals and beliefs, her frantic parents fight to bring her home - before Justin's prophesied Last Day can come to pass.

A powerful story of family, faith and finding yourself, See You in September is an unputdownable new novel from this hugely compelling author.

My thoughts

I grabbed a copy of this from my local Library. I am not sure if it was a random choice or one that I reserved due to having seen people talking about it.  However I came across it doesn't matter, can I just say that I am glad that I did as I found it an engrossing read that had me hooked from the first chapter.

I gave this a 4 stars or 8/10.  This is the first book that I have read by this Author and it won't be the last.

Telling the story of Cassy and her partner Hamish. When Cassy goes missing while away on a break in New Zealand, many years go by before she sees her family again.  Living a new life as part of a commune lead by Justin, who claims to have seen when the Last Day will be upon us.  Cassy is soon engrossed in the day to day life of the commune and their rituals and beliefs become normal for her.  The days lead to months and those months soon become years.  What happens in those missing years makes for a great read that had me turning the pages to find out what was happening.  

No comments:

Post a Comment