Friday 28 August 2020

C by Tom McCarthy

8429580
From Goodreads
'C' follows the short, intense life of Serge Carrefax, a man who, as his name suggests, surges into the electric modernity of the early 20th century, transfixed by the technologies that will obliterate him.
My thoughts
I have had this book in my house for some time. I chose it at random from my local Library (6 years ago) and it was renewed time and time again. I first started reading it 5 years ago and then began rereading it exactly 4 years ago (26th July, 16), it was put to one side. I have finally decided that it needs to go back to the Library and will not be renewed again, so the time is NOW to read it. As you can see it took me just over a month to finish. This wasn't the only book that I was reading at the time though.
I gave this a stars 3.5 or 7/10.
This is an odd book to review.  In some ways it bored me to tears and in other ways I quite enjoyed it.  Reading reviews online it has got a real mixed bag of reviews, with some loving it, some hating it and a whole host of inbetweeners.
This is the first book that I have read by this Author and I will be keen to read more by him in order to compare them. It's quite well written, but it rambles on from time to time and you almost feel like your losing the plot, yet at others it draws you in. 
Spanning the years in the run up to the First World War and the years after, it tells us the story of Serge Carrefax a young man with his life ahead of him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment