Wednesday 29 April 2020

The Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware

46158577. sy475

From Goodreads

IT WAS THE DREAM JOB. IT WOULD BECOME HER WORST NIGHTMARE.

‘So clever and original . . . from the first gripping page to the last shocking twist’ ERIN KELLY, author of He Said/She Said.

'Ruth Ware just gets better and better. The Turn of the Key is her most compelling and addictive to date; I read this in a two sitting frenzy, barely able to turn the pages fast enough' Lisa Jewell, author of The People Upstairs.

When Rowan stumbles across the advert, it seems like too good an opportunity to miss: a live-in nanny position, with a very generous salary. And when she arrives at Heatherbrae House, she is smitten by the luxurious ‘smart’ home fitted out with all modern conveniences by a picture-perfect family.

What she doesn’t know is that she’s stepping into a nightmare – one that will end with a child dead and her in a cell awaiting trial for murder.

She knows she’s made mistakes. But she’s not guilty – at least not of murder. Which means someone else is…

My thoughts

I put my neighbour forward to receive a copy of this with her being a Keyworker and Ruth Ware having kindly offered copies of the book to Keyworkers during the time of the Coronavirus ~ Covid19. As I am an avid reader I asked my neighbour if she'd let me borrow the book once she'd read it. However, she let me read it before her.

This is the first book by Ruth Ware that I've read. I have two other books of hers on my TBR pile, thanks to the Publishers via NetGalley. I've not got round to reading them yet and might I add I will be putting that mistake right sooner rather than later!

Wow, this book grabs you good and proper. Told in short chapters with no numbering or chapter titles, it's an addictive style that keeps you reading long after you should've put the book down. I loved the style and was hooked within the first few pages. I gave this 4.5 stars or 9/10.

Telling the story of Rowan who gives up her job in a nursery, to take up the position of a live in Nanny for a family in the countryside in Scotland. The property is full of all the mod cons and is claustrophobic in it's nature. Rowan feels that she's being watched most of the time, she has an uneasy feeling and she can't make out what the noises are that she keeps hearing.

I look forward to reading the other books of Ruth Ware's that have been sat on my TBR for ages, if they're every bit as good as this one was in my opinion then I am in for a treat.

Grab a copy of this now and immerse yourself in this claustrophobic story, that will keep you intrigued.

No comments:

Post a Comment