Thursday 6 February 2020

Requiem for a Knave (Excerpt post) by Laura Carlin


Requiem for a Knave

From Goodreads

From the author of The Wicked Cometh comes a dark, page-turning tale of passion and romance in the darkest of places. . .

‘Carlin can tell a good story’ Observer.

After the death of his mother, young Alwin of Whittaker leaves the only home he has ever known to seek answers about his unknown father through a pilgrimage to the shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham.

On the journey, Alwin falls in with a band of violent and marauding soldiers and is witness to their terrible crimes. When Alwin later joins up with a group of pilgrims, he must hide his identity . . . but he is not the only one with secrets to keep. Rosamund, a young woman travelling the same path, has much to conceal too.

The journey to discovering who he really is will lead Alwin into great danger and great passion. These are dark times, and through them, Alwin must shine a light.

My comments 

My thanks to the Publishers for a copy of this book to read and review prior to publication day. I was hoping to have finished this one, but sadly life has got in the way.

What I have read of it so far, I am enjoying. The Author has decided to use an older style of English to what we are used to reading. Whilst this took a little getting used to at the start, I feel that it adds to the charm of the story. This is the first story that I have read by this Author and I will be looking to read more in the future.

I will blog about this book once I have finished and will post a proper review, but for now I am going to post an excerpt from the book.

Excerpt

  'Alwin, I can only tell you what I saw ----'
  'Who was it?' I asked with impatience.
  Rosamund paused, whether to stave off the moment of her revelation or to saviour it, I could not guess, then she said,  'It was Father Oswald.'
  'Impossible!' I cried.
  'He called Goody and Adela down to him, then, leaving them in talk with the proprietor and his wife, he ascended the stairs. I opened my door just enough to observe him entering Matilda's room ....'
  'He would never do such a thing!' I protested.
  ' ..... then, with no talk between them as far as I could hear, he left soon after. I awoke in the night to the snapping of flames and, after my cries of alarm were unanswered, I burst out of my room, calling to the others to get out. The door to the maidens' bedchamber was open. Goody and Adela had already left but Matilda lay asleep on her bed. I rushed in through the smoke and tried to rouse her, but there were marks on her neck and she was not breathing.'

To find out what has happened to Matilda, you need to grab a copy of this for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment