Wednesday 3 January 2024

Little Eve by Catriona Ward

 

From Goodreads

A heart-pounding tale of faith and family, with a devastating twist

“A great day is upon us. He is coming. The world will be washed away.”

On the wind-battered isle of Altnaharra, off the wildest coast of Scotland, a clan prepares to bring about the end of the world and its imminent rebirth.

The Adder is coming and one of their number will inherit its powers. They all want the honor, but young Eve is willing to do anything for the distinction.

A reckoning beyond Eve’s imagination begins when Chief Inspector Black arrives to investigate a brutal murder and their sacred ceremony goes terribly wrong.

And soon all the secrets of Altnaharra will be uncovered.

My thoughts

I grabbed a copy of this from my local Library.  I haven't read many of Catriona's books, but I can tell you from what I have read that she knows how to draw the reader in to her warped mind and world that she writes about.   This is a dark, dual time frame story that's full of secrets waiting to be revealed.

I gave this story an 8/10.  I am becoming quite a fan of Catriona Ward and her warped mind, that drags the reader into the world she writes about.

Please be aware that among the pages of this book there are scenarios that may upset people as child abuse features in the story.  This is a book that centers around a cult and all it's powers over others.  It shows how easily people can be drawn in to such a life and the brainwashing that can make others react to the orders of one person.

Set on an isolated island off the coast of  Scotland, Little Eve and it's characters will draw you in regardless of what happens as you are reading, you will want to know more as did I.  I look forward to reading more by Catriona Ward in the future and I am sure that I have a copy of Sundial waiting to be read.

No comments:

Post a Comment