Monday 12 August 2019

Tideline by Penny Hancock

12923286

From Goodreads

One winter's afternoon, voice coach Sonia opens the door of her beautiful riverside home to 15-year-old Jex, the nephew of a family friend. He's come to borrow some music. Sonia invites him in and soon decides that she isn't going to let him leave.

My thoughts

This was a Library Reading Group read for  the group that I am in. I didn't get it finished in time and I can't really remember what the book got as an overall score. I gave the story a 4 stars or 8/10. 

I quite enjoyed the story and found it an easy read that had me gripped and wanting to know more about what was happening. 

Sonia is almost living two lives, the life of the here and now and the life she had as a teenager with all the angst that it entails. Told in shortish chapters this story fairly moves along mixing the past and present seamlessly. As the past is revealed we realise that what has happened recently is even more significant to Sonia, in some ways it's as though she's still  living in the past. Whether that can be used as an excuse for what she has done is another matter. I must admit that I did feel sorry for Sonia in some ways, but then at other times I wanted to shake her as if to wake her up and make her realise that she was acting completely out of character and she should never have done what she had. She did make some odd choices, but she was a woman left with few options as things began to close in around her.

This is a perfect reading group read as there is quite a lot than can be discussed among the pages of this psychological thriller.

No comments:

Post a Comment