Friday 1 February 2019

Our House by Louise Candlish

Our House

From Goodreads

On a bright January morning in the London suburbs, a family moves into the house they’ve just bought in Trinity Avenue. Nothing strange about that. Except it is your house. And you didn’t sell it.

For better, for worse.

When Fi arrives home to find a removals van outside her house, she is completely blind-sided. Trinity Avenue has been her family’s home for years. Where are all her belongings? How could this have happened? Desperately calling her ex-husband, Bram, who owns the house with her, Fi discovers he has disappeared.

For richer, for poorer.

The more Fi uncovers, the more she realises their lives have been turned upside by a nightmare of their own making. A devastating crime has been committed, but who exactly is the guilty party? What has Bram hidden from her – and what has she hidden from him?

Till death us do part. 

My thoughts

I gave this a 4 stars or 8/10. 

Oh my word this is a slow burner to be honest, but that adds to the tension and complexity of the lives of the characters. The way the story is told from the perspectives of Bram and Fi as separate parts in each chapter that are interlinked at times, keeps the reader engaged and wanting more. 

At times I felt sorry for Bram and at others I was wishing that he had a backbone and would take responsibility for his actions as it was clear that there were going to be huge repercussions due to his spinelessness. Fi had no idea of the depths that Bram had sunk to or what was happening around her, she was completely oblivious.

Whilst, I was able to second guess some of what was happening it in no way took away from my enjoyment of the story at all. I wasn't right every time. I did have a theory, about what was happening when certain aspects of the story were revealed, but my theory was completely way off. Which I am glad about as it proves that the story wasn't too predictable.

As the story was drawing to a conclusion and the final few paragraphs had been read. I had to go back and reread the final passages. This story is full of twists and turn and Louise Candlish has fabricated it for the enjoyment of her readers. 

I will look for further books by her, as she's not an Author that I've widely read in the past. I can completely recommend this to all readers who enjoy a well written thriller with twists and turns, that you won't always expect!

No comments:

Post a Comment