Wednesday 31 August 2016

The Sunrise by Victoria Hislop

The Sunrise

From Goodreads

In the summer of 1972, Famagusta in Cyprus is the most desirable resort in the Mediterranean, a city bathed in the glow of good fortune. An ambitious couple open the island's most spectacular hotel, where Greek and Turkish Cypriots work in harmony. Two neighbouring families, the Georgious and the Ozkans, are among many who moved to Famagusta to escape the years of unrest and ethnic violence elsewhere on the island. But beneath the city's facade of glamour and success, tension is building.

When a Greek coup plunges the island into chaos, Cyprus faces a disastrous conflict. Turkey invades to protect the Turkish Cypriot minority, and Famagusta is shelled. Forty thousand people seize their most precious possessions and flee from the advancing soldiers. In the deserted city, just two families remain. This is their story.        

My thoughts

I gave this book a 7/10 or 4 stars.  I've never read a book by Hislop before and I've read several reviews that state that this isn't one of her best.  Having said that I quite enjoyed it for what it was and it hasn't put me off reading others by her.

In this book Hislop has woven a fictional tale around a fictional Hotel called the Sunrise that was in the Cypriot resort of Famagusta before the troubles that split the country in two, pitting friends and fellow countrymen against one another.  Whilst, I had a very vague knowledge of the troubles Hislop had done enough research to enable her to weave facts with fiction in my opinion.

I did struggle with the cast of characters in the book as their were quite a few of them.  At times the story was a little predictable, the relationships between the main characters were flawed and it was easy to see how the temptation from another was far too great not to be acted upon.

I really felt for Aphroditi and certain events that occurred, made me detest someone greatly indeed.

To find out what I'm referring to, you'll have to grab a copy for yourself.




No comments:

Post a Comment