Friday 4 March 2016

The Quick by Lauren Owen

19186317

From Goodreads

You are about to discover the secrets of 'The Quick' - but first you must travel to Victorian England, and there, in the wilds of Yorkshire, meet a brother and sister alone in the world, a pair bound by tragedy. You will, in time, enter the rooms of London's mysterious Aegolius Club - a society of the richest, most powerful men in England. And at some point - we cannot say when - these worlds will collide. It is then, and only then, that a new world emerges, a world of romance, adventure and the most delicious of horrors - and the secrets of 'The Quick' are revealed.

My thoughts

I gave this a 7/10 or 3.5 stars.

I hadn't heard of this book before I saw it in my local library one day. I was drawn to it's cover before I'd read the synopsis. 

This gothic tale set in Victorian England has it all ~ romance, secrets, adventure, fantasy and horror. The Aegolius Club is shrouded in mystery, who are it's members and what happens behind closed doors? 

As we meet the Norbury's ~ James and his sister Charlotte, we are taken on a journey of discovery with them. As fate has different paths for them to follow, secrets begin to unfold and all is not what it appears to be. 

Whilst there was quite a lot I enjoyed about this book, I did find parts of it not as gripping and perhaps the whole thing was overlong and could have done with some pruning. I do however enjoy stories that stretch our imaginations and this one fits that bill nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment