Sunday 7 February 2016

The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes by Anna McPartlin

21735736

From Goodreads

Here is a truth that can’t be escaped: for Mia ‘Rabbit’ Hayes, life is coming to an end . . .
 
Rabbit Hayes loves her life, ordinary as it is, and the extraordinary people in it.
 
She loves her spirited daughter, Juliet; her colourful, unruly family; the only man in her big heart, Johnny Faye.
But it turns out the world has other plans for Rabbit, and she’s OK with that. Because she has plans for the world too, and only a handful of days left to make them happen.
 
Here is a truth that won’t be forgotten: this is a story about laughing through life’s surprises and finding the joy in every moment.

My thoughts

I am not usually a sucker for titles and covers but for some reason this one appealed to me on both counts. A very wet and tear stained 5 stars or 10/10. As I was reading it I felt like I'd read it before, but I hadn't.

I loved this book, the characters were engaging and Anna McPartlin made what could have been a gloomy last few days of Rabbit's life into a quirky thought provoking read. A note to any future readers please have the tissues at hand and if reading this in public be prepared to be left with red eyes once the tears have rolled down your cheeks.

As Rabbit's last few days on earth are drawing to an end she finds herself surrounded by her nearest and dearest. Rabbit or Mia is in the latter stages of terminal breast cancer, she has days to live. Told from the viewpoints of several different narrators, we learn all about the past and present. What could have been a very maudlin story, is one of some sadness mixed with humour. One part that stands out in my mind is the episode in the Chemists with Juliet.

Bravo Anna McPartlin you have written a good one for sure. I can thoroughly recommend this book. I've already passed my Library copy on to a friend to read before I return it.    


ETA I forgot to say how much I loved the ending and I so wish this is what happens to all of us. You need to read it now to see what I am on about.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment