Saturday 16 January 2016

Room by Emma Donoghue

8717323

From Goodreads

It's Jack's birthday and he's excited about turning five. Jack lives with his Ma in Room, which has a locked door and a skylight, and measures 11 feet by 11 feet. He loves watching TV but he knows that nothing he sees on screen is truly real. Until the day Ma admits that there's a world outside.

My thoughts

A very well deserved 5 stars or 10/10. I thoroughly recommend this book to anyone like me, that has never read it before now.

I bought this many many months ago and this is defintely a keeper for me. I am so very late to the party so to speak, in getting round to reading it. I mght not even have read it now had it not been for my local Library Reading Group as it was our January read.

With so many glowing reviews already I am going to find it hard to top them. I can say though that I loved this story.

Told from the perspective of Jack who has known nothing less than living within the confines of four walls for his entire life. He only has his Ma for companionship and the only other person he has ever met, albeit seeing him from behind a wardrobe door is the man who keeps Jack and his Ma captive.

As the first portion of the book is about life inside the 'Room', we learn all about life inside the Room for Jack and his Ma, told without chapters the writing style captures the claustrophobic feeling of the room as there is no escape from the narrative like there is no escape from the Room. The following portions tell us about the aftermath of life in the Room and how it has affected everyone, family and friends of Ma.

This is the first book that I have read by Emma Donoghue and I look forward to catching up with others in due course.

This is soon to be released as a film and I look forward to seeing it in due course.


No comments:

Post a Comment