Saturday 21 June 2014

Mrs Dalloway's Party by Virginia Woolf

 12998299

From Goodreads

Written in the same period as Mrs Dalloway these seven short stories show the author's fascination with parties and with all the excitement, the fluctuations of mood and temper and the heightened emotions which surround these social occasions. Mrs Dalloway's Party is enchanting piece of work by one of our most acclaimed twentieth-century writers.


My thoughts

This is our July Library Reading Group read and I can't wait to see what the rest of the group think. A very short book of 57 pages, comprising of 7 short stories or as it calls them in the introduction chapters. The only way that you could call them chapters is that they are all set in the lead up to the Party but aren't related to one another in any other way. Why? I have to ask myself are we in anyway interested in them as I found them rather dull and of very little substance. I found my mind wandering and they didn't keep me engaged at all. I gave the book a 4/10 and that was for the writing style rather than the content. 

It was very reminiscent of the times when certain classes had not much to worry about, apart from shopping and social occasions like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment