Sunday 29 September 2013

Noughts & Crosses by Malorie Blackman and WBN 2013.

 

I've been a WBN (World Book Night) giver every year since it started and hope that people have enjoyed the books that I've passed on to them courtesy of WBN.  This year I chose to hand out Noughts & Crosses by Malorie Blackman, the first book in a trilogy.

The copies were handed out back in April and last night I got some lovely feedback from a family member that I gave a copy too.  She's not an avid reader like me but I do try to encourage her when I can.  She told me last night that she finished the book in two days and loved it, she then passed it on to another family member to read who also enjoyed it as well.  I've got the other books in the series and have promised to pass them on as soon as I've read them.  I do like getting feedback like this and love it when people have enjoyed a book that I've passed on to them.


Brief synopsis from Amazon.

Sephy is a Cross – a member of the dark-skinned ruling class. Callum is a nought – a ‘colourless’ member of the underclass who were once slaves to the Crosses. The two have been friends since early childhood. But that’s as far as it can go. Until the first steps are taken towards more social equality and a limited number of Noughts are allowed into Cross schools… Against a background of prejudice and distrust, intensely highlighted by violent terrorist activity by Noughts, a romance builds between Sephy and Callum – a romance that is to lead both of them into terrible danger…

Below are my brief thoughts on the book back in Mar, 2010.

I've just read this book and thought it was an easy read with it being aimed at older children/teenagers.  I did find the racism card was played a lot but as that is what the book is based on along with a twist on the Romeo and Juliet story.  I found it a refreshing change to read it from the perspective of the Noughts (white people) being the minority to the Crosses (black people).

I will read the others in the series as I'm a sucker for series. 


No comments:

Post a Comment