Saturday, 1 February 2014

January 2014 reads.

Well what a cracking start to 2014, if this month is the benchmark for the year then I'm going to have nowt but good reads all year.

My lowest mark was an 8/10 and the others were all 9/10.

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick de Witt. 9/10
A western set in the times of the Gold rush in the US.  Not one for gthe fainthearted, at times a rather gory read but a great read if you can stomach the violence.

The Postmistress by Sarah Blake. 9/10
A story centred around three women who's lives become interlinked around the times of WWII.  Another well writted great read.

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. 9/10
A classic that I wasn't looking forward to reading but boy am I glad that I did.  Set around the late 1700's around the time of the French Revolution.

Niedermayer & Hart by M.J.Johnson. 9/10
A cracking horror story.  I am not sure how I got hold of it but I am glad that I found it.  I have not read a  horror story in a long time, the last one that I read was Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin and it did not hit the mark in my opinion.

Notwithstanding by Louis de Bernieres. 8/10
A series of interlinked short stories set around a village.  A nice compilation of stories with some great characters in them.

All the above books have been reviewed on my Blog, so look for the relevant posts for a more in depth review.



















No comments:

Post a Comment